“For Health’s Sake – Skate”
Riverside Stadium, located in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of
There were other skating rinks in town such as the Uline Arena and the National Rink, however, roller skating was just the tip of the iceberg for
- The DC Public Schools football championship was decided at Riverside annually.
- Riverside Stadium was the home court for the
basketball team. Georgetown
- The magnificent Ice Follies made their Washington DC debut at Riverside.
- In 1939, hockey made its debut in D.C. as the Washington Eagles of the East Coast Hockey League made Riverside Stadium their home.
- In an April 23rd, 1940 boxing event at Riverside, Nathan Mann defeated Buck Everett, Maynard Daniels defeated Gunboat Miller, Jimmy Brock defeated Wildcat O’Hara, Buck Welsh defeated Brooks Bowen, and Sammy Magro defeated Gerald D’Elia.
- A variety of renowned big band musical performances raised the roof at Riverside.
Riverside Stadium also proudly served as the training camp for Joe Louis as he prepared for
Riverside Stadium continued to provide a home at 26th & D for roller skaters and sports fans until the late 1950s under the operation of S. G. Leoffler. On a slightly bizarre note, Riverside Stadium is also reported to have been used as temporary offices for the CIA at the end of the 1950s.
If you have additional informaton or stories about Riverside Stadium we’d love to hear from you.All text, additional images and this design, available for purchase, can be found at Vintage Roadside located here.