Home of “Happy” the Walking Fish!
One of the most interesting attractions we’ve run across is The Beautiful Atomic Tunnel. Located 7 miles south of
W. R. Johnson was an entrepreneur with vision. If the cold war was not going to require the use of his fallout shelter he might as well put it to work attracting the throngs of tourists motoring through his section of the
- Happy the walking fish.
- Smokey the photogenic monkey.
- Mac the macaw ready to pose for a “memory shot.”
- “Man eating piranha imported directly to the Atomic Tunnel from the Amazon”. These fish could “reduce a human being to a skeleton in 3 seconds!”
- Plants used by witch doctors for rituals.
- A 16th century Turkish monk's chamber.
- An orchid room where you could meet a beautiful orchid queen.
- Rare small mice that dance, walk and spin.
The Atomic Tunnel had everything you could want in a roadside attraction. It’s no wonder Mr. Johnson billed his establishment as “
If you would like to see more, including a postcard of the Orchid Room please visit our Atomic Tunnel page located here.
Special thanks to Ken Breslauer for help with our research.We're always looking for more history to present with each of the businesses we feature so please let us know if you have any memories, stories, souvenirs or photos of these wonderful places.